Detroit’s up-and-coming, entrepreneurs to speak Oct. 6 at Fox Theatre
DETROIT (Sept. 13, 2016) – If you had the world’s attention for a few minutes, what would you share? That is the question each TEDxDetroit speaker will answer during the highly anticipated celebration of technology, entertainment and design, on Thursday, Oct. 6 at Detroit’s historic Fox Theatre. With hundreds of applications submitted, event organizers have narrowed down the list and selected local influencers, thought leaders and innovators to kick off this year’s conference, including: Mobsteel‘s Adam Genei; HistoSonics Inc. President and CEO of Christine Gibbons and more.
“The secret to creativity is the cross pollination of ideas,” said TEDxDetroit curator Charlie Wollborg. “When we bring this gaggle of optimistic entrepreneurs, scientists, artists, geeks, educators and designers together, new ideas spring to mind and we stretch the boundaries of what’s possible.”
Also joining the 2016 lineup of speakers are:
- Aaron James Draplin, founder of Draplin Design Co.
- Rick Lax, deception expert, magician, magic creator, author and producer
- Khary Turner, executive director of the Coleman A. Young Foundation
- Eric Thomas, founder of Saga MKTG
- Dawn White, chief technology officer of Accio Energy
- Jeff Owens, chief technology officer of Delphi Automotive
- Bill McDonald, principal of Phoenix Haus
- Rick Robinson, composer at CutTime Productions and former bassist in the Detroit Symphony Orchestra
- Christian Birky, founder of Lazlo
- Dave Meeker, vice president at Isobar
- Katie Mann & Annie Klark, founders of 4th Wall Theatre Company
- Lisa Waud, creator of the Flower House
- Lungiswa Moore, creator of #mygirlsquad
- Mike Knight, co-owner and head trainer at Michael Knight AOS
- Paulette Auchtung, planetarium and live theaters manager at the Michigan Science Center
- Ron Kagan, executive director and CEO of the Detroit Zoo
- Satori Shakoor, executive director of The Secret Society Of Twisted Storytellers
- Shamayim ‘Shu’ Harris, project directress of The Avalon Village
- Eshwar Inapuri, CEO of InnaMed
Kicking off at 8 a.m., conference goers will also draw inspiration from a selection of performers and artists, including: a showing of Anthem of Us, a short film produced by filmmaker Stephen McGhee; as well as performances by bluegrass band Shine on Kentucky Moon, improvisational atmospheric space orchestra Botanical Fortress, soprano and Kresge Art Fellow Kisma Jordan, performance artist Mike Ellison, Detroit Bellydance performer Lana Mini, master puppeteer Patrick Elkins and poets James Kaymore, Zaria Ware and Wes Matthews. Legendary Detroit Street Artist Fel3000ft will also serve as the event’s artist in residence, creating a one of a kind canvas piece in the Fox Theatre Lobby throughout the day.
To spark ideas in Detroit’s youth and who could be the next Neil deGrasse Tyson or Jane Goodall, the regular ticket prices subsidize student tickets at TEDxDetroit. This year, over 600 students from metro Detroit’s five counties and from Canada will be attending, free of cost.