Diverse group of volunteers come together to celebrate ideas and inspiration
In a city made strong by the people who love it, TEDxDetroit is returning to the Fox Theater on Oct. 6 for its eighth annual celebration of ideas and inspiration. Produced and managed by a group of passionate volunteers, TEDxDetroit is dedicated to showcasing and cultivating innovation in the Motor City.
Charlie Wollborg of Curve Detroit is executive producer and curator of the “charged particles” of TEDxDetroit’s team. “Charged particles” is the idea that when you put a bunch of thinkers and doers in a room, they bounce off each other and new ideas arise. Having a long legacy with the event, Wollborg was part of the original team that brought TEDx to Detroit in 2009.
“I am continuously inspired by the passion and ideas that each member of our board brings to the table,” Wolborg said. “They personify the exact idea that TEDxDetroit represents: a group of people coming together for creativity and the benefit of the community.”
More than 3,000 designers, entertainers, entrepreneurs, educators, scientists, technologists and artists, including 1,000 students, will gather to share in the day-long conference dedicated to sparking collaboration between the technology, entertainment and design industries.
Each member of the TEDxDetroit board volunteers their time to bring the expertise of their industry to the event and share positive stories about the innovation happening in Detroit. This year’s board of directors includes:
- Nick DeNardis of Wayne State University, executive producer and technical director
- Janet Tyler of Red Level Networks, executive producer and director of communications
- Valerie Sobczak of Ann Arbor District Library, executive producer and director of TEDxLabs
- Elena Wollborg of Troy School District, director of registration
- Terry Bean of Networked Inc, director of community
- Greg Feldkamp of Utica Center for Science and Industry, director of education
- Stephanie Angelyn Casola of Prologue, director of culture
- Shawn Lee of Shawn Lee Studios, director of photography
- Billy Strawter Jr of Social Coop Media, director of social media
TEDxDetroit is also pleased to announce its 2016 production team:
- Shannon Tucker of Wayne State University, stage manager
- Keith Oliver of Premier Event Tech, production manager
- Christopher Johnson of Lear Corporation, “The Voice” of TEDxDetroit
- Marie Stawasz of Franco Public Relations Group, media relations manager
- Jenna Markham of California Closets, volunteer coordinator
Tickets for TEDxDetroit are now available for $100 each, and applications for speakers and labs are being accepted through August 26. For more information regarding attending or participating in the conference, visit www.tedxdetroit.com.